Loew's Yorkville Theatre
157 E. 86th Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Yorkville Theatre
The Yorkville Theatre was built in 1902, and was operated by the Shubert Bros. It was operating as a vaudeville house known as the Yorkville Theatre when Marcus Loew took it over in 1910. It was typical of its time, with two separate balconies and tiers of box seats flanking both sides of the stage. It was one of Loew’s earliest New York City area theatres, along with the Lincoln Square, Majestic, West End, and Royal (Brooklyn), which were also acquisitions. Loew’s Yorkville Theatre proved so successful that three years later, the circuit built the much larger and more opulent Orpheum Theatre in the same block, but closer to 3rd Avenue. Loew’s continued to operate the Yorkville Theatre, but favored the Orpheum Theatre in programming.
Loew’s Yorkville Theatre switched to a cheaper grade of vaudville and subsequent-run movies. It was closed in 1928.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.