Michael Todd Theatre
170 N. Dearborn Street,
12 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: M & R Theatres
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Harris Theatre, Dearborn 1
News About This Theater
Located next door to the Cinestage Theatre (the former Selwyn Theatre) on N. Dearborn Street, the Michael Todd Theatre was the second Todd-AO 70mm roadshow theatre, and was originally known as the 1.200-seat Harris Theatre. The Harris Theatre, designed by C. Howard Crane in 1922 (along with the next-door Selwyn Theatre) as a playhouse for legitimate producers Sam H. Harris and Archie and Edgar Selwyn, it was opened October 2, 1922 with the comedy “Six Cylinder Love”. The Harris Theatre was given an Italian Palladian design, while the Selwyn Theatre was done in Neo-Georgian style.
Michael Todd took over in the mid-1950’s and the Harris Theatres' remained a legitimate theatre until 1958. Following a remodel, it reopened as a movie theatreon December 26, 1958 with Robert Mitchum in “Two for the Seesaw”. The Michael Todd Theatre was a bit different than the Cinestage, as it had a large flat screen instead of a curved strip screen. It also had a great waterfall curtain, whereas the Cinestage had a standard curtain that opened horizontally. There was also a huge balcony and the Century JJ-equipped projection booth was on the main floor under the mezzanine. The Michael Todd Theatre was taken over by ABC-Great states in August 1970 and it was remodeled. Plitt Theatre took over in 1974 and it was closed on April 22, 1977. It was taken over by M&R Theatres and following a refurishment it reopened on December 25, 1985 as the Dearborn 1 (the former Selwyn/Cinestage became the Dearborn 2) Both theatre was closed in 1988 and were demolished, apart from their facades.
Before it was razed, the Michael Todd Theatre’s entire ceiling had collapsed and was basically in ruins. Unfortunately, the roofs were always neglected in both of the theatres.
Today, the Michael Todd’s façade, along with that of the Cinestage (both saved when the theatres were torn down), now form part of the façade of the new Goodman Theatre complex, which moved from its long-time location at the Art Institute of Chicago in 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.