Paris Theatre

243 Bourke Street,
Melbourne, VIC 3000

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Uploaded By

Tiny film

More Photos of This Theater

Photo Info

Taken on: July 8, 2023

Uploaded on: July 8, 2023

Software: Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

Size: 144.3 KB

Views: 234

Full EXIF: View all

Software: Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

Date time: 2023-07-08 17:16:00 +0000

Date time original: 2023-07-08 16:58:10 +0000

Date time digitized: 2023-07-08 16:58:10 +0000

Subsec time original: 00

Subsec time digitized: 00

Color space: 1

License:

Lyceum Theatre 243 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 1932 - Previously the Paramount - 1957

Lyceum Theatre 243 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 1932 - Previously the Paramount - 1957

Photo - Melbourne Arts Centre.

“Five Steps to Danger” ran for one week commencing Dec 20, 1957.

History - The theatre was renovated and renamed the Lyceum by Hoyts in 1932. In 1936 Snider and Dean Pty Ltd took over the theatre and running it for many years before returning it again to Hoyts control. The Lyceum mainly screened move over programs from other theatres or revivals. In the 50’s and 60’s the Lyceum screened many MGM releases. On November 5, 1963 the Lyceum closed.

The venue was renamed the Cleopatra in 1964 opening February 28. It opened with the screening of the film Cleopatra.

The Paris opened with The Sound of Music on April 17, 1965.

With troubles over lease agreements, Hoyts were forced to vacate the venue. Its last months were spent screening revivals.

The Paris closed January 28, 1970. Now the Tivoli arcade.

Contributed by Greg Lynch –

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment