200 Portofino Way,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres
Architects: John Parkinson
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: Fancher's Capitol Theatre, New Capitol Theatre
Opened in 1912 as Fancher’s Capitol Theatre as a mixed film and vaudeville house. The architect was John Parkinson, who designed a three storied building that resembled the half timbered houses seen in Germany. The auditorium and stage portion was built on wooden pilings above the sand and was located on the El Paseo beach amusement zone area of Redondo Beach, with an address: 127 S. El Paseo (today close to the Seaside Lagoon).
There were 600 seats on the main orchestra floor and 100 in the small shelf balcony. It was a primitive building with the roof trusses and beams visible to the audience in the auditorium. A Wurlitzer theatre organ Opus 307, style 135A was shipped to the Capitol Theatre on 13th May 1920.
The theatre was taken over by Gore Brothers of Los Angeles in 1919 and in 1920 the company was re-named West Coast Theatres.
The Capitol Theatre remained the major theatre in Redondo Beach until the opening of the Fox Redondo Theatre in February 1929 when the manger Thomas Quinn transferred to the new theatre and the Capitol Theatre went over to second runs and westerns.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.