Fiesta Theatre

4011 Troost Avenue,
Kansas City, MO 64110

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Architects: C.F. Coss

Previous Names: Lindbergh Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Lindbergh Theater, 1940

The Lindbergh Theatre was located in the Hyde Park neighborhood on Troost Avenue. The Lindbergh Theatre was opened December 25, 1928. Organist Thomas Bruce opened the $25,000 pipe organ. It was renamed the Fiesta Theatre on December 28, 1941 and closed on January 6, 1953.

It was converted into the Town Ballroom which opened in August 1953 and closed in the mid to late-1970’s.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

RobbKCity on December 24, 2006 at 3:20 am

The correct address for the Lindbergh Theater was 4011 Troost Ave, not 3036 Prospect. That was the address of the Linwood Theater.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 24, 2006 at 9:29 am

The 1950 edition of Film Daily Yearbook still lists it as the Fiesta Theatre with a seating capacity of 1,125.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 5, 2015 at 10:31 am

The Autumn, 2009, issue of the Jackson County Historical Society’s quarterly journal had an article about Kansas City’s neighborhood theaters (PDF here.) It says that the Lindbergh Theatre opened on Christmas Day, 1928. The theater had a $25,000 Robert Morton organ, and was built for Abe Baier, who also operated the Bagdad Theatre. The house was named for aviator Charles Lindbergh. The auditorium had been built behind a row of existing stores which were remodeled in the Spanish style then popular.

In December, 1941, the house was renamed Fiesta Theatre. It operated until May, 1953. In August of that year Baier leased the building to the operator of a dance hall, and after remodeling and the leveling of the floor it was opened as the Town Hall ballroom. The ballroom was still operating in the early 1970s, but the building had been demolished by 1980.

An item in the August 6, 1928, issue of the perpetually frustrating trade journal The Film Daily gave the name of the architect of Baier’s new theater as C. F. Cons, but the Internet provides no other references to an architect of that name. I suspect that this was yet another of the magazine’s plethora of typos.

rivest266 on April 28, 2018 at 10:23 pm

December 25th, 1928 grand opening ad in the photo section.

dallasmovietheaters on November 29, 2020 at 8:28 am

Became the Fiesta December 28, 1941 with “Honky Tonk” and “ Hold Back The Dawn” on a twin bill. The Fiesta ended on January 6, 1953, with a triple feature of “Dodge City”, “Beast with Five Fingers” and “Captive Girl.”

MichaelKilgore on October 12, 2021 at 1:46 am

Motion Picture Herald, March 3, 1951: “Edward Terhune has bought the Fiesta theatre from Melvin B. Wilson and Harvey L. Stinson.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.