Ritz Theatre
412 S. Main Street,
St. Charles,
MO
63301
412 S. Main Street,
St. Charles,
MO
63301
No one has favorited this theater yet
Additional Info
Nearby Theaters
The Ritz Theatre was a conversion of a former mill located in downtown St. Charles. It opened on September 4, 1935 with Bill Cody in “The Cyclone Ranger”. A small single floor 400-seat theatre. It was one of four theatres located in Old St. Charles which is now a historic district. It was closed in early-1950 and was taken over by the Moose Club, presenting stage shows and occasional movies. In June 1956 it was damaged by a fire.
Contributed by
Chuck Van Bibber
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Paul Golterman equipped the former storeroom of the Gillis Jones Rice Mill and made a 480-seat capable but 400-seat total venue called the Ritz Theatre. (He said he would add the 80 seats when business warranted such.) The Ritz opened with a soft launch on September 4, 1935 with Bill Cody in “The Cyclone Ranger” followed by a grand opening the next night with “Midnight Alarm.” It was equipped with a Jewell Ultra-Phone Sound System.
The Ritz made it to the end of its 15-year leasing opt out in early 1950. The Moose Club took it over staging shows and sporadic informational film screenings. The building was damaged in a June 1956 fire and sold to the City of St. Charles for parking for $21,500. The building appears to date back to the 1860s as the Lafayette Mills originally selling wheat, rye and buckwheat flour all the way to 1931 under names that included: Kremer & Marten, Kremer’s (adding livestock feed), St. Charles Roller (adding oats), Werner-Liebrock, and Gillis Jones (adding rice at the onset of the Depression). The storeroom’s second floor also held a 19th Century tavern, the Spring Brewery Saloon. The entire structure was demolished and is the contemporary home of Kister Park.
I would suggest “demolished” and formerly “Mill.”