766 Main Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Styles: Romanesque Revival
Previous Names: Music Hall, Shubert Teck Theatre, Loew's Teck Theatre, Shea's Teck Theatre
- Shea's 710 Theatre
- Fine Arts Theatre
- Shea's Performing Arts Center
- Cinema Downtown
- AMC Market Arcade 8
News About This Theater
Located on Main Street at Edward Street. Built as Shea’s Music Hall in 1887, it was designed in a Romanesque Revival style by architect Richard Alfred Waite. It was demolished and Shea’s Teck Theatre was built on the site, opening in 1900. It was remodeled on February 7, 1946 as Shea’s Teck Theatre to the designs of architect B. Frank Kelly. The opening movies were Ann Sothern in “Up Goes Maisie” & Marsha Hunt in “A Letter for Evie”. It was converted for 3-projector Cinerama on March 16, 1955 opening with “This Is Cinerama” and ran all films made in that format (both 3 projector and single projector) until the Cinerama era was over. From May 1958 it ran “normal” films on the curved screen leftover from “single projector” Cinerama. Loew’s Inc. departed from the theatre and it was closed on September 28, 1979 for roof repairs. It reopened under new management on December 21, 1979.
The theatre was demolished in December 1982 due to the aftermath of the destruction of Buffalo, N.Y. Main Street during the disastrous building of a subway system. Because of the extended construction public access to that and other historic downtown Buffalo theatres was totally cut off causing their bankruptcy and forcing the theatre going public to attend films in suburban multiplexes.
The lot where the Teck Theatre stood is currently empty and covered with weeds.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.