216 N. Brand Boulevard,
35 people favorited this theater
Firms: Lindley & Selkirk
Previous Names: Alexander Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 2, 2014 — Stefanie Klavens' Celluloid Dreams
- Jun 20, 2014 — Next Act for the Alex
- Jun 15, 2013 — Overhaul for Glendale's Alex Theatre
- Nov 20, 2012 — Three Stooges Festival at Glendale's Alex Theater on Saturday
- Aug 8, 2008 — Alex Theatre holds tribute to projectionist
- Jul 2, 2008 — New Pink Panther promo
- Mar 6, 2008 — Alex gets by for now
- Apr 13, 2007 — Another LRS in Los Angeles
- Sep 2, 2004 — The Movie Palace Series: Gallery (Part Two)
- Mar 18, 2004 — Crest Theatre Now Hosts Midnight Classic Film Screenings
Opened by the West Coast Theatres chain on September 4, 1925 with Jay Hunt in John Ford’s “Lightnin” plus vaudeville on the stage. The Alexander Theatre had a seating capacity for 1,460 and was modeled after the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, having an open courtyard in front. It was designed by architects Arthur George Lindley and Charles R. Selkirk in a Greco-Egyptian style, with the auditorium designed in a Greek Atmospheric style.
By June 1938 it was operated by Fox West Coast Theatres. In 1940, noted theatre architect S. Charles Lee was commissioned to update the look of the Alex Theatre and the result was a complete overhaul of the marquee including the addition of a fabulous neon pole that illuminates this street in downtown Glendale.
In 1993, the theatre was renovated again to become a live performance hall and has been used almost exclusively for shows and live theatre.
It did, however, host the opening extravanganza for Disney’s “Mulan”, in place of their usual venue (the El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood). The Alex Film Society hosts classic film screenings inside the Alex from time to time.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.