115 N. 8th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: H & H Theatre Co.
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Princess Theatre, Maeroy Theater, Palace Theater
This is a small theater in downtown Ballinger. The building originally opened as the Princess Theater around 1915. By April 1920 it had been renamed Maeroy Theater with 525 seats. It became the Palace Theater in 1928. Following the demise of the other Texas Theatre across the street which was destroyed by fire on January 8, 1962, the Palace Theatre was renamed Texas Theater from June 14, 1962 when it re-opened with Walter Pidgeon in “Big Red”.
The upper facade is yellow brick, the lower facade is plaster with orange and black tiles at street level. The sign is a very odd looking structure which is too big for the building and spells TEXAS in white letters on rounded blocks that get bigger toward the top. It was reopened in 2013 but closed January 8, 2015. By early-2017 it had reopened as a restaurant, which screens movies and has live bands on the stage. Names the Old Texas Bar & Grill.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.