Wayne Theatre

1014 S. Calhoun Street,
Fort Wayne, IN 46802

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Architects: John M.E. Riedel

Previous Names: Lyric Theatre, Riley Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Exterior of the Lyric Theatre on South Calhoun Street.

Originally opened as the Lyric Theatre October 12, 1908. On September 25, 1925 it was renamed Riley Theatre which closed in 1940. On March 28, 1941 it reopened as Wayne Theatre and was still open in 1955, but had closed by 1956. Since demolished the downtown Hilton Hotel now stands on the site.

Contributed by Bryan

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

kencmcintyre on November 21, 2006 at 4:46 pm

That link is long gone. The theaters in Fort Wayne on 11/5/22 were the Lyric, Jefferson, Orpheum, Strand, Palace, Hippodrome, Creighton, Transfer and Grand.

millsbranch on April 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

The Wayne theater at 1014 South Calhoun was opened in 1941 by Maller Theater Circuit.
It was first opened about 1908 as the Lyric, however Mallers bought
the theater, and promptly changed its name to the Riley.
They decided to again change its name, this time to the Wayne, which was very popular during it hey-day.

millsbranch on April 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

Should say posted by Billy Smith, Don lewis & Billy h.

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on August 29, 2010 at 8:29 pm

From the early 1900s a postcard view of the Lyric Theatre before it became the Wayne.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 10, 2010 at 1:45 am

The Lyric was built in 1908, according to a history of Fort Wayne published in 1917. Originally a vaudeville house, it had been converted to a movie theater by the time the book was written.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 27, 2012 at 3:16 am

A book about Fort Wayne published by the Fort Wayne News in 1913 attributes the design of the Lyric Theatre to one of the town’s leading architects of the period, John M. E. Riedel. He also designed the Empress Theatre.

rivest266 on April 22, 2024 at 4:47 pm

This became the New Lyric on April 12th, 1925, and Riley on September 15th, 1925, after a contest. Ads posted.

rivest266 on April 23, 2024 at 5:22 am

Closed in 1940 and reopened as Wayne on March 28th, 1941. Another ad posted.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.