129 3rd Street NE,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
The Majestic Theatre opened in 1908. The manager was Victor Hugo (real name Victor Klassens). The auditorium was added to an existing building which housed the lobby. The Majestic Theatre was the first to be designed by architectural firm Rapp and Rapp of Chicago.
The auditorium seated 1,400 originally. It was the premier vaudeville house in town. In 1914 the roof collapsed over the stage house, demolishing the proscenium and opera boxes. The theatre was rebuilt and reopened, four new brass light fixtures lit the proscenium with its' new mural.
In 1921 the theatre added movies, but vaudeville was still the main event. Special acts, such Sousa and His Band were often booked for one night engagements. When this happened the regular stage show would move to the Isis theatre for the night. When the Iowa Theatre opened, the Orpheum vaudeville shows moved to the new theatre. When the Capitol Theatre (Paramount) opened, the management at the Majestic Theatre reorganized and brought in various theatre groups to run the theatre as a legitimate house.
When the Trousdale Players left in March of 1929 the theatre closed. The owners tried different formats, but by 1930 the theatre had closed, a victim of the depression, the death of vaudeville, competition from the new theatres, and the lack of air conditioning - which forced them to close during the summers. In 1934 the theatre burned in a suspicious blaze (the owner was bankrupt and heavily in debt).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.