1025 S. Big Bend,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Arthur Enterprises Inc.
Styles: Art Deco
The Richmond Theatre opened in 1936 seating 622 as part of the F & M and later became part of the Arthur Enterprises Inc. The Richmond Theatre was located just around the corner from the much larger Esquire Theatre. It played to a different clientele than the Esquire Theatre though. It was always first run and ran the more classy movies in the early days. In its later life it was noted for its art theatre format, running art, independent, and foreign films. When the Esquire Theatre was remodelled and the Mid America Theatre made it a first run house and the Arthur theatres started showing art films at the nearby Shady Oak Theatre the days were numbered for the Richmond Theatre.
Arthur tried a second run policy but the clientele in that area were not into second run theatres. The Richmond Theatre closed quietly in 1966. The building went over to retail use. It had always had retail shops attached to the front but the theatre itself became a sporting goods store. Today only the upper pats of the façade exist.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.