Summer Cinema Capitol
Bulevardul Regele Ferdinand 1,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Duiliu Marcu
Previous Names: Cinema Capitol, Cinema Modern, Cinema Maxim Gorki, Cinema Capitol
In Timisoara, western Romania, on 6th December 1929, construction began on Cinema Capitol. Designed by Duiliu Marcu, it opened a year later, at Christmas 1930. However, the contractor was, apparently, persuaded to do the work rather cheaply – and just one year later, in 1931, the roof collapsed, necessitating major repairs.
Over time, the Cinema Capitol has also been known as the Cinema Modern and the Cinema Maxim Gorki, but precise dates are not known.
The cinema was nationalised in 1956 (which is very likely where at least one name change occurred), and renovated and modernised in 1972. It operated (once again as Cinema Capitol) until at least 2000, possibly 2007, but then closed for film shows and became the home of Banat Philharmonic, which had been founded in 1871.
Also included in the original scheme was a garden for outdoor film screenings during the summer. That was closed in 1994 but, in 2014, it was completely restored by volunteers, students, employees of Banat Philharmonic - and prison inmates. The screen was restored, a new sound system was installed, the seats were repaired, and Summer Cinema Capitol was back in business.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.