No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: West's Ltd.
Located in the city centre on Adelaide Street, between Albert Street and Edward Street, opposite the Brisbane Arcade. The Centennial Hall was opened in May 1888 and operated as the Crystal Palace Skating Rink. It became a music hall and was screening films from 1906 when it was operated by T.J. West. The Centennial Hall also contained shops and offices. It was sold on 15th March 1919 when the Centennial Hall closed on films. At the time of sale part of the building was being used by the Caledonian Society and Burns Club. They were retained in the building following the sale.
In the 1920’s it was remodeled in an Art Deco style to the plans of architect Lange Leopold Powell. From 1940 and into 1941 it was used for vaudeville. It then became the Cocoanut Grove Ballroom. It was damaged by fire in 1942. Following repairs, it reopened as the Birdland Dance Hall which operated into the 1950’s. It was later demolished and the Reserve Bank of Australia was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.