Alston Town Hall
No one has favorited this theater yet
Alston Town Hall (Official)
Styles: Gothic Revival
Located in Alston, Cumberland (today Cumbria). Alston Town Hall is a magnificent Gothic Revival style building, designed by architect Alfred Burdakin Higham of Newcastle upon Tyne. It was opened in 1858. The building contained a large assembly hall upstairs on the first floor, a courtroom, facilities for the local mechanics institute and a library. It was in the Town Hall that early cinema shows were screened. These took place here until the Cinema opened by 1927, around the corner in King’s Arms Lane (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Since 2008 the former library is back in use as a library, and the large assembly hall is host to occasional film shows. It is also used as a market hall on the first Saturday of the month, selling locally made crafts & gifts.
On 14th May 1984 the Alston Town Hall was designated a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.