No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Garrison Theatre, Beacon Cinema. Globe Theatre
Located in Bulford Camp army base on Salisbury Plain, to the northeast of Amesbury, Wiltshire. The Bulford Army Camp was built in 1897. By 1914 there was the 500-seat Wesley Hall Cinema operating at the camp.
In the late-1920’s or early-1930’s a Garrison Theatre was built. It was a corrugated iron structure and was operated as a cinema & theatre by A,N. Kendall who operated the Palace Cinema, Andover. In 1935 it was booked from the Regal Cinema, Winchester. and by the end of the 1930’s it was run from the Hippodrome, Tidworth, still managed by A.N. Kendal. It was equipped with a British Talking Pictures (BTP) sound system. The proscenium was 31ft wide.
When World War II began in September 1939 it was operated by the Army Kinema Corporation. In 1944 it was renamed Beacon Cinema but was soon renamed Globe Cinema by the Army Kinema Corporation.
By 1953 it had been replaced by a new building named Garrison Cinema and by 1958 a Western Electric (WE) sound system had been fitted. It was still listed in the 1963 edition of Kine Yearbook but had gone from listings by 1966. Both buildings have since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.