790 Venustiano Carranza,
San Luis Potosi
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Javier Vilchis Pliego
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The grand Cine Avenida opened on 10th October, 1947 with 3,200 seats in orchestra and balcony levels. It stands impressively on a corner site at Avenida Venustiano Carranza and Avenida Tomasa Estevez, with a simple sweeping marquee to cover the sidewalk. The lobby is sumptuous enough to be compared with Radio City Music Hall in New York, with a long single stair rising to an open mezzanine, complete with a huge painted wall mural. Cove lights in the ceiling and around statuary niches supplement the natural light from three 2-story windows.
The entire auditorim is richly draped in multiple layers of swags and tie-backs. A cove-lit sunburst radiates from the square topped proscenium.
This architect was Javier Vilchis Pliego. The original owner was Jose Vilet, Jr.
The Cine Avenida was closed as a single screen cinema in the late-1980’s. It was taken over by another operator in the early-1990’s and converted into eight screens. It was closed in around 2005, and the building now stands unused.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.