Leeds Hippodrome Theatre
Lands Lane and King Charles Croft,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Thomas Winn
Previous Names: New Theatre, Princess Concert Hall, Princess Palace Theatre,Tivoli Theatre of Varieties
The New Theatre was opened in 1848. In 1874 it was rebuilt and renamed Princess' Concert Hall, opening on 24th December 1874. It later became the Princess Palace Theatre. It was designed by architect Thomas Winn. Seating was provided in stalls and a U shaped circle level which had slips along the sidewalls stretching to the proscenium In 1898 it was renamed Tivoli Theatre of Varieties, in use as a music hall when it was taken over by Thomas Barrasford from Jarrow in March 1899. It began screening films as part of the music hall programme from 1900, using the Barrascope projector. From 1906 it was renamed Leeds Hippodrome Theatre.
Major improvements were carried out in 1924. In March 1927 it was taken over by the General Theatres Corporation chain which was headed by Sir Walter Gibbons & F.A. Szarvasy. In May 1928 the General Theatres Corporation chain was taken over by Gaumont British Theatres chain. They closed the Hippodrome Theatre on 10th June 1933.
It was converted into a garments workshop & store by Messrs Schofields. It was demolished in October 1967. The site is now part of The Core Shopping Centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.