88 Queens Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Victoria Rooms (Official)
Architects: Charles Dyer
Styles: Greek Revival
Previous Names: Clifton Super Cinema
Located in the Clifton district of Bristol at the junction of Queen’s Road and Whiteladies Road. The Victoria Rooms consisted of three rooms, the large room contained 650-seats in stalls and balcony levels. The second room held 400-seats and the small room held 130-seats. Designed by architect Charles Dyer in a Greek Revival style, the Victoria Rooms opened in 1842. The front of the building has a magnificent portico with eight Corinthian columns and a pediment containing a classical relief sculpture designed by Musgrave Watson. Jenny Lind and Charles Dickens appeared here. In December 1920 the large room was converted into the Clifton Super Cinema. It had a short life as a full time cinema, but continued until 1931 with occasional use as a cinema.
The Victoria Rooms were taken over by the University of Bristol and occasional shows were held in the various rooms. In December 1934, the building was damaged in a fire, and repairs were carried out. Occasional film use continued until at least 1937. It became an exhibition and conference centre and in 1996 housed the University Music Department. They use it for concerts, plays, recitals and lectures.
It is a Grade II* Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.