No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Victoria Palace
In Chesterton, a former mining village in Staffordshire, the first records regarding cinema are in the minute books of Wolstanton Urban District Council when, on 25th July 1911, the Highways and Buildings Committee resolved that plans for a proposed variety theatre should be rejected. However, presumably after making the necessary alterations, the plans were resubmitted and, after further deliberation, they were approved.
A Cinematograph License was duly granted on 31st July 1912, and it is assumed the Victoria Palace opened at that time.
Later known as the Victoria Cinema, it was never wired for sound and closed during the mid-late-1920’s.
The building became home, at various times, to a snooker club, a billiard hall and was used for storage, before moving over to bingo, first as the Victoria Bingo & Social Club and then as a Top Ten Bingo Club.
The Top Ten Bingo Club closed around July 1998.
A spirited campaign was launched to save the building for community use, but that was unsuccessful, and it stood unused until December 1999, when it was demolished. Housing has been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.