1455 Leek Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In the Abbey Hulton district of Stoke-on-Trent, preliminary plans for the erection of a picture house were submitted to Stoke Borough Council on 5th March 1936. One month later they were approved, and a Cinematograph Licence was granted to this rather plain building. The Abbey Cinema subsequently opened, it is thought by August Bank Holiday, 31st August 1936. British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound was installed. The 25ft wide proscenium enclosed the 23ft by 15ft screen.
The cinema appears to have led an uneventful life until closure on 24th June 1961. The final films were “The Deep Six”, starring Alan Ladd, and Huntz Hall in “Hot Shots”.
From 30th August 1961 the building started its new life as the Abbey Bingo Club. By 1962 it was a Kingsgate Bingo Club and taken over by the Starland group, it closed on 13th September 1986 as the Starland Bingo and Social Club.
The building then became home to the Bethel Faith Centre, and subsequently Breathe New Life Church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.