Vine Street Theatre
2711 Vine Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Dixie Theatre, New Theatre, Rex Theatre, New Vine Street Theatre, New Dixie Theatre, Love's Vine Street Theatre
The Dixie Theatre opened as an African-American movie house on Vine Street on January 11, 1914. Operated by Homer B. Roberts and Dr. E.J. McCampbell, the theatre was built for motion pictures but was criticized for having just one projector. On April 11, 1914, the theatre had two projectors still charging a nickel and relaunched as the New Theatre. The New’s first film was King Baggot and Leah Baird in “Absinthe”.
On September 26, 1914, the theatre was changed to the Rex Theatre now with Frank Watts as projectionist and Roy Gibbs in charge of music. “Quo Vadis” was the opening film.
M.M. Mitchell took on the venue under the name of the New Vine Theatre on April 22, 1917. New operators Homer Webster and William Roston took on the venue renaming it the New Dixie Theatre on May 25, 1918. The operator of the Love Theatre, George W.K. Love, took over the venue renaming it as Love’s Vine Theatre on December 14, 1918.
The final name of the theatre was the Vine Street Theatre mixing live acts and films closing apparently in 1925. The venue was transformed to an auto garage and finally a taxi cab garage that appears to have been torn down in the late-1970’s as an overpass was built close to where the building once stood.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.