39-41 E. Jefferson Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Grand Theatre
This theatre was located on the site of the current Diana Theatre. It was in the rear of the Tevis Block, a two story brick structure built between 1885 and 1890.
As originally constructed, there were two deep storefronts separated by a staircase which faced onto E. Jefferson Street, and the rear contained two smaller storefronts facing S Independence Street. The top floor was used as office space.
Sometime around 1915, the rear storefronts were eliminated, and the main storefronts were drastically shortened to form an auditorium. This appears to have been new construction, with a peaked roof. The western storefront was also cut by nearly half to allow an entrance lobby to be built.
The Grand Theatre operated at least until 1922 before closing for a short time, and reopening as the original Diana Theatre in 1926. The structure was badly damaged in 1947 by a fire.
It was demolished and replaced by the present Diana Theatre (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.