106 N. Broadway Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Alger Theatres
Architects: Joseph W. Royer
Previous Names: Colonial Theatre
The Colonial Theatre opened in 1913, on Market Street, in downtown Urbana. While it was a fairly small theatre, the Colonial Theatre originally had its own house orchestra. In 1924, Market Street was renamed Broadway Avenue. In the late-1920’s, stores were built on either side of the Colonial Theatre, a barber shop and a restaurant.
The theatre closed in 1931, but was reopened four years later as the Albro Theatre, named for the Alger brothers whose LaSalle, Illinois-based movie theater chain owned the theatre from that time until it closed. The Albro Theatre was remodeled and modernized, now showed sound films, beginning with “Alibi Ike”.
In 1948, the Albro Theatre closed, and was converted into offices. Just five years later, the company leasing the former theatre moved to a new location, and the building was demolished, replaced by a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.