225 Locust Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Cherokee Amusement Company
No theaters found within 30 miles
The theater was originally built as a silent movie theater and was the first theater built in the downtown of Spruce Pine. It’s located on the lower street.
Acording to the THE SPRUCE PINE NEWS
“The people of Spruce Pine have enjoyed movies beginning with silent films at the Piedmont Theater in the 1920’s. In the late-1920’s and early-1930’s, Robert Gutschalk operated the Piedmont Theater on Lower Street. In addition to silent films and then talkies, the theater was used also by schools and other community groups for plays, including one in 1934 by the Charles Hickey Methodist Sunday School Class. Band concerts, such as the summer dance and music recital by Mrs. Robert Poole and Mrs. H.E. Hand in 1929, and similar cultural events kept the building busy. A possibly controversial film was once shown at the Piedmont Theater, but no record of community reaction has been uncovered. (No pun intended, of course)”.
- John Taylor assumed operation of the Piedmont Theater in June of 1937 and remodeled it. The Asheville Citizen in August 1937 announced construction would begin immediately for “a modern motion picture theater” to be operated by Cherokee Amusements Inc. and the Piedmont Theater would continue operation. This new theater turned out to be the Carolina Theater, which opened just before Christmas of that year. On January 1, 1938, the Citizen reported John Taylor had sold all the theater’s equipment and contracts to Cherokee Amusements Inc., also agreeing to close the Piedmont Theater and not open another “playhouse in this vicinity for a period of 10 years.” Taylor remodeled the Piedmont’s building that same month and opened it as a skating rink as well as for basketball and dancing.
It is now a book and gift store called “Dellingers Christian Bookshop”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.