1032 Southern Boulevard,
5 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Previous Names: Loew's Boulevard Theatre
One of the many Loew’s theatres in the borough of the Bronx. The Loew’s Boulevard Theatre opened on November 1, 1913. It featured small time vaudeville and pictures. In 1917 the interior was redesigned by noted theatre architect Thomas White Lamb. It was at this time that a Moller 3 manual 6 ranks with 54 registers organ was installed. It was remodeled again in 1932 to accommodate talking pictures. In June 1940 it introduced ‘one night’ vaudeville which continued into 1950. Loew’s closed the Boulevard Theatre in the 1960’s.
It soon reopened under independent management. As well as movies, there were occasional live shows and in September 1972 it presented a circus. In the late-1970’s it went over to screening Spanish language movies and was closed in the mid-1980’s.
It was converted into a Five Brothers furniture store and the balcony was sealed off by a false ceiling extending from the front of the balcony to the proscenium. In the late-2000’s it became a Planet Fitness gymnasium. The orchestra area occupied by the gymnasium has had its original decorative details removed, but the balcony (although out of sight and out of bounds) still retains its theatre decorative details.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.