No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Fraternal Hall
Previous Names: Wilson Theatre
No theaters found within 30 miles
The three-story Community Building was built in downtown Greenfield with a cornerstone ceremony marking that event on May 12, 1920. The building on the West Side of the Courthouse Square housed a basketball court and the Masonic Lodge. Live events and plays were held there for 15 years. A local businessman launched the Wilson Theatre on February 16, 1937 by George Leathers. The theatre competed with the Strand Theatre and both struggled to get enough patrons.
In June of 1938, Crump Taylor bought both the Wilson Theatre and Strand Theatre. Taylor closed the Strand Theatre and merged both theatres as the Plaza Theatre beginning June 18, 1938. The Plaza Theatre discontinued films in lieu of live country music in the late-1970’s. However, movies returned on weekends only as the Plaza Theatre reached its 40th year of operation. Unfortunately, the Community Building housing the Plaza Theatre was destroyed by a fire on October 19, 1978.
The town’s old opera house was purchased in 1987 and served as a home for country music until 2010. That building was brought back to usage in 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.