59 West Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Academy Picture Palace, Academy Cinema, Tatler Cinema
Sited in a former Turkish Bath, the Academy Picture Palace opened 6 June 1911 with over 400 seats. On the opening night, G A Smith talked about and showed “Kinemancolor” films. The original cinema was replaced with a new one seating between 800 and 1,000 seats. It was part of the Biocolour Picture Theatres chain.
The Academy Cinema became part of the Gaumont British Picture Corporation in November 1928, and in 1931 was briefly re-named the Tatler Cinema before reverting to its original name in 1932. In 1939 it was remodelled throughout in Art Deco style with 932 seats. The Academy Theatre closed on 24 January 1973 with a showing of Bogdanovich’s “Last Picture Show”.
Demolished in 1974, an office block named Academy House was built on the site. Today, the ground floor is occupied by a Yates bar.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.