Palm Theatre

311 Delaware Street,
Leavenworth, KS 66048

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet


View address on Google Maps

Additional Info

Previous Names: Penny Arcade, Crystal Theatre, Aurora Theatre, 5 Cent Theatre

Nearby Theaters

No theaters found within 30 miles

Palm Theatre

A conversion of a pre-1883 building. Originally opened as the Penny Arcade in August 1907 and included an automatic shooting gallery. It was renamed Crystal Theatre on December 2, 1907 It was known as the Aurora Theatre from January 3, 1908. This early nickelodeon was one of several early show stores in downtown Leavenworth. On July 6, 1908 it was renamed 5 Cent Theatre and together with the Magnet Theatre they were purchased by Ed Lampson on October 15, 1908 and he changed their names to the Palms Theatre and Fern Theatre.

The Fern Theatre advertised as, “For the Classes and Masses”. The sister theatre across the street was the Palm Theatre which was advertised as, “For the Masses and the Classes”. In 1913 the Palms Theatre had a new owner who renamed it Palm Theatre and had closed it by 1914.

In 2018 the site houses the Henri Masonic Lodge No. 190.

Contributed by dallasmovietheaters

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 27, 2018 at 4:26 pm

The Palm Theatre was listed in the 1914-1915 American Motion Picture Directory. The February 6, 1909 issue of The Moving Picture World had this item:

“Leavenworth, Kans. — Ed. Sampson [sic], proprietor of the Palm Theater, will open another theater, at 302 Delaware street, to be known as the Fern.”

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 18, 2024 at 5:57 pm

The February 15, 1910 issue of The Nickelodeon had this item: “LEAVENWORTH, KANS.-C. F. Mensing, owner of the Casino and Princess theaters, has purchased the Palm Theater, 31 [sic] Delaware street, and the Fern Theater, 302 Delaware street, both formerly owned by Ed Lampson. This gives Mr. Mensing complete control of the moving picture business in this city.”

SethG on May 24, 2024 at 2:22 pm

This entry needs to be corrected. It’s been a vacant lot for a long time, and there was never anything masonic here. This block is pretty well trashed on both sides. Vacant lots and awful remodels are the order of the day. The building would have been next to the ugly little formstone bar.

SethG on May 24, 2024 at 2:26 pm

The building was constructed before 1883, and the 1905 map shows a pool hall here.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.