115 N. Evergreen Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Lucas Theaters
Firms: Smith & Neubek
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Arlington Theatre opened on May 6, 1925 with Jack Holt in “Thundering Herd”. It was equipped with a Barton 2 manual 3 ranks organ. It was located on N. Evergreen Avenue near Northwest Highway. It replaced the old Arlington Hall on the same site. It was wired for sound in 1930. From the time it opened well into the 1930’s, the Arlington Theatre hosted both live entertainment on its stage, as well as movies. The Arlington Theatre was completely rebuilt in 1941 and reopened in 1942. Designed in Streamline Moderne style to the deigns of architectural firm Smith & Neubek.
After decades as an entertainment destination of downtown Arlington Heights, the aging theatre was closed in 1986, and demolished that same year. An eleven-story apartment building was built on the site in 1987.
A new Arlington Theatres opened in 1999 at the Arlington Town Square, with six screens and stadium seating (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.