53 S. 9th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Vonderschmitt Theatres
Previous Names: Wild Opera House
The Wild Opera House was built in 1895 by Leonard Wild. It launched November 25, 1895 with a live performance of “Charley’s Aunt”. Vaudeville was mixed into the live performance venue. By 1919, the Wild Opera House had largely transformed into a silent motion picture house.
The Wild Opera House made the transition to talkies using the tagline, “Where sound sounds best”. It was renamed Wilds Theatre in 1934 and closed as a movie theatre in 1936. From 1937 to 1943, it was used for a variety of special purpose live and some film events. In 1947, the operators of the Logan Theatre took on a five year lease or sublease with announced plans to renovate the Wild Opera House back to an operating feature film location. Those plans appear to have been scrapped. By 1957 it was operated by the Vonderschmitt Theatres chain.
In 1959, the city paid $5,000 to purchase the Opera House which was demolished that December to make way for a city parking lot which was still there in the 21st Century.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.