Twin City Drive-In
2212 N. Market Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Kerasotes Theatres
The Twin City Drive-In opened in September of 1948, with room for about 600 cars. It was the first drive-in to open in Champaign county, built at a cost of more than $150,000. The opening film was “Frontier Gal”. Within a month of opening, the size was increased to accomodate 150 more cars due to the drive-in’s popularity.
In 1954, a large CinemaScope screen was installed, as was a playground for children and the concession stand was enlarged. Two years later, burro rides for children were added. During the mid-1950’s until 1960, the Twin City Drive-In was operated by the Van Nomokis chain. In 1960, the Kerasotes chain acquired the drive-in (at that time, its third theater in the area, with the indoor Co-Ed and Princess added a few years earlier).
By the end of the 1960’s, the Twin City Drive-In had gone from mainly second-run, B-grade Hollywood features and Westerns to mainly horror and adult-oriented films. During the late-1970’s, a typical double-feature consisted of titles like “Satan’s Playthings” and “Centerfold Spread”.
The drive-in finally was closed by Kerasotes in 1981 and its screen tower demolished not long after, its marquee and concession stands allowed to eventually fall into ruin.
Today, a furniture store is located on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.