Maple Theatre

W. Main Street and Spruce Street,
Monterey, VA 24465

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Functions: Retail

Previous Names: Monterey Theatre, Arcadia Theatre, Evick's Arcadia Theatre, Evick's Talkie House, Highland Theatre, Monterey Theatre, New Theatre, Warner Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Maple Theatre

Located on Main Street, opposite the Spruce Street Church. The Monterey Theatre was opened October 14, 1922. It was operated by K.H. Trimble. A competition was held to name the theatre and it became the Arcadia Theatre from November 17, 1922. On October 12, 1927 the Arcadia Theatre & Restaurant were sold to Julian Terry. In April 1928 both business’s were rented out to John Wimer. In November 1928 the Arcadia Theatre was playing a stock company presenting 4 big acts of vaudeville. On April 5, 1929 the Arcadia Theatre, restaurant and all contents were put up ‘For Sale’ by Julian Terry and were purchased for $5,300 by A.K. Evick. Renovations and alterations were carried out and it reopened May 24, 1929 as the Evick’s Arcadia Theatre. On April 25, 1930 the theatre was equipped with a Vitaphone sound system and was known as Evick’s Talkie House. It was closed August 16, 1930 with “The Round-Up”.

Under new ownership of H.B. Jones Jr. it became the Highland Theatre, but in January 1931 was purchased back by Julian Terry. After a reopening it was closed in the late-summer of 1931. It rented out by William E, Kranz and reopened November 7, 1931. On October 6, 1933 it was sold to C.A. Warner.

It became the Monterey Theatre on March 9, 1934. From December 1936 under new owners it became the New Theatre. It was remodeled and a Western Electric sound system was installed. On March 14, 1937 it reopened as the Highland Theatre again, and closed on March 25, 1938. On May 31, 1938 it reopened as the Monterey Theatre again. It was closed August 21, 1939 when the lease expired. It was taken back by its owner Charles L. Warner of Circleville, WV. and after renovations and a slight enlargement, it reopened December 29, 1939 as the Warner Theatre. It was equipped with CinemaScope on March 8, 1956. The Warner Theatre was closed April 28, 1960 with Joel McCrea in “Border River”. It was put up ‘For Sale on September 20, 1962.

It was purchased by Charles F. Folks in February 1964 and it reopened as the Maple Theatre on March 12, 1964 with Elvis Presley in “Girls, Girls, Girls”. The Maple Restaurant had also been completely remodeled. The Maple Theatre was closed in September 1966. It was reopened on October 14, 1966 showing the remake of “Stagecoach”. It was a short lived venture as the Maple Theatre finally closed on December 8, 1967 with Kenneth Williams in “Carry on Screaming!”. In 1972 the Maple Restaurant was expanding into the former theatre space.

Contributed by Ken Roe, Williamsburg Film Festival
You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.