1267 N. Keowee Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Firms: F & Y Building Service
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Hunt's McCook Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 17, 2013 — “South Pacific” 55th Anniversary – The Roadshow Engagements
- Dec 9, 2012 — Happy 50th, “Lawrence of Arabia”
- Oct 18, 2011 — Happy 50th, "West Side Story"
- Nov 18, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Ben-Hur"
- Oct 30, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Sleeping Beauty"
Originally opened July 10, 1941 with Joan Crawford in “A Woman’s Face”. This was the Roadshow house for some of the biggest 70mm films of the 1960’s. It boasted two Norelco 35/70 projectors. An exhibitor named Hunt took this single screen neighbor theatre in the McCook Shopping Center and transformed it into the showplace of its time. He installed a wall to wall screen in front of the old mini stage, with a deep curved screen and a sweeping blue curtain that ran beyond the the exits on each side of the auditorium. From “Around the World in Eighty Days” to “Ryan’s Daughter”, this theatre featured “Doctor Zhivago”, “Lawrence of Arabia”, “Gone With the Wind” plus many more.
Mr. Hunt had also operated the Hunt’s Cinestage in Columbus. When Mr. Hunt passed away, the theatres were operated by his wife, daughter and son-in-law. The Cinestage closed in 1972, and in 1974, the theatre was leased to the Levin Service company of Dayton where it began to run sub run movies for a dollar, but only lasted a couple of years. Since the late-1970’s it went over to screening X-Rated adult movies, but more recently these ceased and it has became an adult book store. It was demolished in 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.