Indiana Theatre

59 E. Washington Street,
Martinsville, IN 46151

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

50sSNIPES
50sSNIPES on July 24, 2021 at 8:39 am

After the blaze caught the Indiana Theatre that September of 1939, the theater was rebuilt and the theater reopened on March 26, 1940 with “Broadway Melody Of 1940”.

SethG
SethG on May 14, 2021 at 12:41 pm

This theater was built by Michael A. Switow, a Jewish immigrant from Poland, who lived in Shelbyville. He converted his candy store into the first Dream Theatre after seeing a movie in Chicago. He and his family eventually owned over 40 theaters, and this must have been an early addition.

The 1916 map calls it ‘The Grace’, and gives a capacity of 500. The building then had shallow one-story section at the front. This had a wide entry flanked by narrow retail spaces, one of which is the obligatory barber. The auditorium is covered by a peaked roof, and there is a fly tower at the rear. The whole was built in brick. It’s possible that some of the rear of the structure dates to the original theater, since the brick is a different color on the front.

robboehm
robboehm on September 25, 2016 at 9:12 pm

The photo dates from the time just after the fire when the facade was in an Art Deco mode using cream and maroon tiles.