Empire Cinema

55 High Street,
Long Eaton, NG10 1HZ

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Architects: John F. Dodd

Nearby Theaters

Empire Cinema

Located in Long Eaton, on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border, at the corner of High Street and Orchard Street. The Empire Cinema was built in 1919, opening on 1st August 1920 with Basil Gill in “Gods Good Man” & Pauline Fredericks in “Roaring River”. The building designed by Long Eaton based architect John F. Dodd contained a cafĂ© and a ballroom, and had a large car park. It was closed due to financial problems on 5th April 1924. It reopened under new ownership on 20th October 1924. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system in 1930 and screened its first ‘talkie’ “King of the Kyber Rifles” starring Victor MacLaglen on 12th May 1930.

The Empire Cinema was equipped with CinemaScope on 5th December 1955 screening Burt Lancaster in “The Kentuckian”. The Empire Cinema was closed on 15th October 1960 with Charlie Drake in “Sands of the Desert” & David Ladd in “Raymie”. The building was sold to Tesco and was demolished to build a Tesco supermarket on the site. This later becamed a Preedy’s and is currently a W.H. Smith’s store.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

dave on June 2, 2019 at 10:06 am

Additional stuff from Long Eaton & Sawley Archive: On Thursday August 1st 1920, the Empire cinema opened, showing God’s Good Man and Roaring River. Seats were priced at boxes 2- each seat, circle 1-, fauteilles (whatever they were) 9d, stalls 6d and pit stalls 4d. There was room in the pit and circle for over 1,000 people. It included the Empire Cafe and a large room for private parties or Billiards. For some reason though, the Empire was not successful and closed on Saturday April 5th 1924. Five months later, under new management, the Empire re-opened.

Live acts would occasionally be engaged as an alternative to films. Talkies arrived on May 12th 1930 with King Of The Khyber Rifles. 1954-5 brought the Panoramic screens. The first Cinemascope film shown in Long Eaton was The Kentuckian with Burt Lancaster. Although successful for many years, the Empire was too large to be viable and closed on October 15th 1960 with Charlie Drake and Sands Of The Desert. Although several youths were searched for fireworks before being allowed in, many were sent out after several explosions during the evening, so the second half of the film played to an almost empty cinema. Vandalism caused the closure of many cinemas during the 1950s and 1960s.

The Empire was demolished to build a new Tesco supermarket. This was eventually replaced by Preedy and currently a W.H. Smith’s store occupies the site.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.