614 Sydney Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Architects: H. Vivian Taylor
Firms: H. Vivian Taylor, Soilleux & Overend
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Hoyts Padua Theatre
Located in the north Melbourne district of Brunswick. The Hoyts Padua Theatre was a beautiful 1,800-seat Streamline Moderne style cinema, which was built and operated by the Hoyts Theatres chain. It was opened on 24th July 1937 with Errol Flynn in “Charge of the Light Brigade”. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It featured a Hammond electric organ and bandstand which were on a revolve on the stage. The other side of the revolve revealed the screen. Stage shows featured as part of the film programme. It was closed by Hoyts Theatres in June 1968.
The property was sold, but leased out to Tony & Franco Zeccola who reopened it in August 1969 as the Metropolitan Theatre, screening Italian films. They continued to operate the Metropolitan Theatre until December 1981.
The building then sat vacant and vandalised and sadly it was demolished in February 1982. Shops have been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.