Cannon Low Fell
608 Durham Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: Edwin M. Lawson
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Capitol Cinema, Classic Low Fell
Located in the Low Fell district in the south of Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. The Capitol Cinema was opened 23rd December 1935. It was operated by the Newcastle-on-Tyne based Smelt’s Theatres circuit, and had 1,449 seats, a 30ft wide proscenium and was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was equipped with a theatre organ (make unknown). In December 1946 it was taken over by the Essoldo circuit. In 1953 the Capitol Cinema became the first cinema in the country to be equipped with an automatic projection change-over system named Essoldomatic, which was later named Projectomatic and later became Cinemation. It became a full-time bingo club from 14th January 1967.
On 2nd April 1972 it was taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain and re-opened as a cinema, renamed Classic Low Fell. On 14th April 1973 it became a triple screen cinema, with seating provided for 491 in screen 1, and 221 seats in screen 2 and screen 3. Essoldo were taken over by Cannon Cinemas in June 1982 and it was re-named Cannon Low Fell. It was closed on 16th April 1987. The building was demolished in 1999.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.