Village Croydon Drive-In
93 Maroondah Highway,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Village Theatres
The Village Croydon Drive-In opened on January 14, 1955 with Audrey Hepburn in “Roman Holiday”. It had one screen with a capacity for 741 cars. The first theatre in the Village Theatres circuit to be named Village(the indoor houses owned by the company at that time were called Kirby Theatres). A walk-in was added in 1956 to cater for locals without cars. A second screen with a capacity 454 cars was added in 1982, with the second screen coming from the recently closed Moorabbin Drive-In.
The drive-in closed in August 1990, and the screen taken down within 24 hours, and items were auctioned shortly after, and the site became home to Pizza Hut and Sizzler. Village also owned the motel(Nunawading Motor Inn?) which was situated at the front of the drive-in.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 4 comments)
Correction – that part of Whitehorse Road is also called Maroondah Highway. The former Pizza Hut building is now called La Porchetta(Italian restaurant)–(93 Maroondah Highway), and the Former sizzler building is now Sofia Croydon(pasta and pizza restaurant)–(99 Maroondah Highway). There was also a Mcdonalds(101 Maroondah Highway) located on the eastern side of the entrance road(now Nursery Roas?), the Mcdonalds is still there.
The carpark behind La Porchetta and Sofia may part of the drive-in ramps, and the road between La Porchetta and Sofia may the exit road from the drive-in, and the lights in the carpark may the lights from the drive-in, possibly also the fence along side the carpark(along the nursery road side).
Opened in January 1955 and closed in August 1990. Screens are 454 cars and 741 cars.
Opened on January 14, 1955 with “Roman Holiday”.