80 Lord Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Campbell & Fairhurst
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Picturdrome
Located in Southport, Lancashire. The Picturedrome was opened on 9th May 1910, and was the first purpose-built cinema to open in the town. Designed by Southport based architectural firm Campbell & Fairhurst, it had an attractive façade, with a dome centrally placed over the entrance. Seating was provided for 700 on a raked floor.
It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system on 14th February 1931 when George Arliss in “The Green Goddess” became its first ‘talkie’ to be shown. It closed as the Picturedrome on 23rd April 1933 with Jack Holt in “Soldiers of Fortune”, and alterations were carried out to the plans of architect G.E. Salt.
It re-opened as the Forum Cinema on 20th May 1933 with Stanley Lupino in “Sleepless Nights” and “The Tragedy of Everest”. The seating capacity had been reduced to 480. The Forum Cinema was closed around 1952 and was demolished in August 1957.
A block of flats named Forum Court now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.