72 Grafton Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Richard Francis Caulfield Orpen
Firms: Robinson & Keefe
Previous Names: Grafton Street Picture House, Grafton News & Cartoon Cinema
Located in the south of the city centre. The Grafton Street Picture House was opened on 17th April 1911, in a conversion of an existing building to the plans of architect Richard F.C. Orpen. It was a small cinema, but was very successful and in the summer of 1913 it was enlarged to seat 620 and was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) of London, England. It had a tea room for the convenience of its patrons.
In 1929 further alterations were carried out to the plans of architectural firm Robinson & Keefe, and a Western Electric(WE) sound system was installed. In the 1930’s it went from playing first-run to second-run and revivals.
On 18th September 1959 it was re-named Grafton News & Cartoon Cinema. CinemaScope was installed in May 1968 and it reverted back to screening feature films as the Grafton Cinema, operated by the London based Classic Cinemas chain. It was sold to Irish Amalgamated Cinemas Ltd. in November 1972, but was closed in 1st December 1973.
It was converted into retail use and for many years the interior remained untouched.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.