Classic International Film Theatre
207 Fratton Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Classic Cinemas (UK)
Previous Names: Globe Kinema, Globe Electric Theatre, Globe Picture House, Rex Cinema
Located almost adjacent to the Carnegie Free Library on Fratton Road. The Globe Kinema was opened on 19th December 1913. It had a 32ft wide proscenium. By 1923 it was known as the Globe Electric Theatre and by 1923 it was the Globe Picture House. In April 1937 it was taken over by the owners of the Tivoli Cinema, Fratton Road and closed to be refurbished, re-opening as the Rex Cinema on 24th May 1937.
The Rex Cinema was closed in April 1972 and became the Curzon Bingo Club, but this was short lived, as it closed on 12th August 1972. It reopened as a cinema named Classic International Film Theatre in October 1972. It closed on 16th May 1983 with Omero Antonutti in “Night of San Lorenzo”(La Notte di San Lozenzo). It was converted into a snooker hall, which closed in 1998. It was demolished in September 2001 and a small block of flats named Shoot Pool have been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.