Cine Conrado Benitez

Maximo Gomez Norte 13,
Plaza San Francisco,
Sancti Spiritus

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

guarina on May 26, 2015 at 10:03 am

A shed of brick and roof tiles located at San Francisco #25 which had been inherited in 1898 by the three children of José del Espíritu Santo Antúnez y Bercedes was demolished in 1926 by Architect Alberto Luis Mendigutía Silvera, and a modern 3-storey building in an eclectic style was built on its site. The first two floors were for cultural activities, the 3rd for offices. The luxurious Teatro Renacimiento opened in 1927 as a live theater. It was the property of the Sociedad Civil Colectiva Mendigutía y Garcia. It rises opposite the Plaza San Francisco. It was transformed into a cinema. On December 23, 1958 the populace ransacked it and destroyed its interior decoration. In 1960 it was restored and named after alphabetizing teacher Conrado Benítez García.