Queen's Hall Cinema
73 Alexandra Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Grimsby, northeast Lincolnshire. Originally built as a timber factory it was later used for dancing and roller skating. The Queen’s Hall Cinema was opened on 24th March 1934. The entrance was in the middle of a row of terrace houses, with the auditorium hidden from view at the rear. It was equipped with a Compton 2Manual/5Ranks organ, which had an illuminated console and was opened by organist Reginald Dixon. It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system.
Always independently operated, the Queen’s Hall Cinema was closed on 6th October 1963 with Elvis Presley in “Kid Galahad”. It was converted into a bingo club. The Compton organ was removed from the building in 1972 and now resides in Louth Town Hall. It was still open as a bingo club in the 1990’s.
The auditorium has since been demolished and housing built on the site. The entrance between the terrace houses has survived, but is bricked in.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.