No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Fraternal Hall
Previous Names: Royal Cinema Theatre, New Gaiety Picture House, Pavilion Electric Theatre
The cinema opened as the Royal Cinema Theatre on 9th July, 1914, initially with a pianist and vocalist before screening a Keystone comedy. The name changed in December 1919 to New Gaiety Picture House, but also presented live shows. In late-summer 1921 the cinema became the Pavilion Electric Theatre and lastly the Pavilion Cinema and dance hall.
Over a year after the Regent Cinema opened, the Pavilion Cinema was redecorated and murals depicting country scenes added. However, the re-opening on 14th February 1933 was short lived. W.A. Wimbleton who had the controlling interest in this cinema formed a syndicate to buy the Regent Cinema. The Pavilion Cinema closed with “Big Cage” on 10th December, 1933.
A variety of uses ensued but in 2015 the Royal British Legion are in residence with many extra windows on each side but still recognisably cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.