Cauldwell Lane and Seatonville Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: George Bell
Firms: Dixon & Bell
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Regal Cinema, Classic, Cannon
Located in Monkseaton, a district to the west of Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear, on the corner of Cauldwell Lane and Seatonville Road. The Regal Cinema was opened on 4th November 1936 and had a seating capacity for 1,020. It was operated by the owners of the Playhouse, Whitley Bay.
The Regal Cinema was taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo chain in August 1949. It was closed on 11th August 1964. It was converted into a bingo club.
Later, renovations were carried out and it was re-opened as a cinema on 23rd January 1972. Taken over by the London based Classic Cinemas chain on 2nd April 1972, it passed to the Cannon Group in 1976.
The Cannon was twinned and re-opened on 18th July 1977 with seating provided for 351 in screen 1 and 115 in screen 2. It was last operated by a management buyout from the former ABC company and was re-named ABC, which was closed on 15th April 1999.
The building was demolished in August 2000 and housing was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.