220 W. Dominick Street,
12 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Kallet Theaters Inc.
Architects: Leon H. Lempert, Jr.
Styles: Art Deco
News About This Theater
The Capitol Theatre opened December 10, 1928 with Colleen Moore & Gary Cooper in “Lilac Time” as part of the Kallet Theaters chain. It was designed by architect Leon H. Lempert, Jr. It was equipped with a Moller 3 manual 7 ranks organ which was opened by organist Robert S. Bancroft. It operated as a first run movie house until the 1970’s, when it closed.
In 1985 the Capitol Theatre re-opened as a civic center. Recently, the original installation Moller theatre organ was returned to working condition.
In 2002, a series of silent movies in 35mm with theatre organ accompaniment was started, featuring such internationally known organists as Philip Carli and Dennis James. The organ is maintained by the Rome Grand Theatre Organ Society, a chapter of the ATOS.
It was extensively renovated and reopened on July 17, 2021.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.