2300 S. Grand Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: New Shenandoah Theatre
The Shenandoah Theatre opened in 1912 as a legitimate theatre on S. Grand Avenue. By 1916, it was showing movies along with vaudeville.
The Shenandoah Theatre was designed by architect F.A. Duggan. Its ornate exterior was eye-catching and the crystal chandeliers reflected brightly in the lobby.
The theatre went to motion pictures later and did very successful runs following move overs from the Fox Theatre and St. Louis Theatre on N. Grand Avenue in the Theatre District.
In 1941, the Shenandoah Theatre was remodeled in Art Moderne style by architect Leo F. Abrams with a wider screen added and was renamed New Shenandoah Theatre. It housed 703 seats on the main floor and 369 seats in the balcony.
As time passed, so did the clientele, and the neighborhood changed. Later went in the double bills and first run B-movies. As the suburban multiplexes came about and population moved to the suburbs the Shenandoah Thearre went into a triple feature program with a dollar admission.
This was originally a bright light on the S. Grand Avenue shopping district but like any light bulb it gradually burns out. The theatre was closed in 1977.
It has been demolished and a parking lot is on the site now.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.