Almo Theatre

210 S. West Main Street,
Rocky Mount, NC 27801

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

SethG
SethG on January 1, 2023 at 3:46 pm

The correct current address is 218 S West Main. The theater was located in the northernmost of three storefronts in a two story commercial building that was part of a rapid building out of this block between 1907 (when there was one building at each end and almost nothing between) and 1912, when it is shown on the Sanborn as an ‘Electric Theatre’. It appears on the 1917 map as a ‘Picture Show’, with an address of 212. By 1956, long after it closed, it had the current address. The building today is abandoned, and this section has the storefront boarded over.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 15, 2014 at 4:25 pm

The Almo Theatre did not last very long. It is listed in the 1914-1915 city directory, and it is mentioned a few times in The Moving Picture World in 1916, but it does not appear in the 1920 city directory. The 1920 directory lists only two theaters in Rocky Mount: the Palace, at 228 S. Main (this address was later changed to 238 Main SW) and the Opera House at 143 N. Main. Because some addresses on Main Street were shifted a bit sometime during the 1920s, it’s possible that the modern address of the Almo’s building would be different than the 210 N. listed in the 1914 directory.