Theatre Royal Cinema
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: W. Tillot Barlow
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Kursaal, Kursaal Kinema, Theatre Royal, Rex Entertainment Centre, Royal Movie Centre
Located in the seaside town of Bognor Regis, West Sussex, on The Esplanade, towards the east of Bognor Regis Pier. The Kursaal was opened on 4th June 1911, when it was in use as a live theatre for Pierriot shows. The building also contained a skating rink, shops and a tea room. By November 1913 it was operating as the Kursaal Kinema.
In April 1919 it was re-named Theatre Royal, and went over to live theatre use. The Theatre Royal was taken over by a Coventry based cinema chain operated by Harold Philpot, and re-opened as a cinema on 3rd November 1941 with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in “Road to Zanzibar”. In 1947, it was refurbished and re-opened as the Rex Entertainment Centre.
Part time bingo was introduced in 1963. It was re-named Royal Movie Centre in December 1974, but this was a brief return to full time cinema, as it closed on 30th August 1975 with “Confessions of a Pop Performer”.
The building was quickly demolished in 1975, and the Bognor Regis Centre was built on the site, which opened in March 1980.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.